Sicily's Liquid Gold
23rd April, 2019
On the south-east coast, between the pretty town of Avola and the charming city of Noto, you will find The Old Mill.
The Club's residency, which was built in the nineteenth century, was once a fully operating olive press mill. It is set within fruitful almond and olive groves and four hectares of land in the protected area of Monti Iblei DOP.
While the four-bedroom farmhouse is now a rural retreat for Members, the estate's olive trees are still cultivated and harvested yearly to create an exclusive extra virgin olive oil made from the Nocellara dell'Etna and Moresca olive varieties.
How olive oil is produced at The Old Mill...
• A team of dedicated gardeners are employed for an autumn
• Sticks are used to shake the olives from the trees and caught by tarpaulins lining the ground
• Olives are carefully separated from leaves and placed in large containers to be transported to the mill
• At the mill, the olives are placed in water tanks to be cleaned
• Once clean, the olives are transferred to crushing machines and oil is extracted
• Oil is tried and tested, sealed in containers to rest and consumable after two months
The Old Mill's olive oil has a distinct fruity aroma with spicy top notes. Once rested, it is sweet liquid gold with a dense consistency. Just one tablespoon will flavour any dish… We'll have a Caponata to start!